Monday, January 23, 2012

Do You Tip?

   I do, and the amount I leave depends on the food and service. But soon we may have that choice taken away from us. In Toronto, 2 restaurants are adding an AUTOMATIC 20% to a diners bill on hand held electronic terminals. Regardless of whether or not you're happy with the meal and server.
   EXCUSE ME?!?
   To be fair, the restaurants, at least right now, are giving customers the option to opt out when they "ok" their bill. But it's far from a new practice. In Vancouver, for example, some eateries added 18% for groups of 8 or more. Needless to say, that went to at least 20% during the olympics.
   And in a true "Fuck You" moment, a couple in the States were ARRESTED for refusing to pay the automatic gratuity because of a poor meal. O-Kay, it amounted to 16 bucks on the bill, and cops did drop the charges, but seriously?
   I am aware of how poorly paid restaurant staff are, and how much some of them rely on a tip at the end of the meal. Hell, in some restaurants a portion of their gratuity goes to kitchen staff and other workers. It's called tip-out I believe.
   To me, this is the thin end of the wedge. and if I ever come across it, I will be sure to tell staff at the place that I will never be back for a meal. and I will also let them know in no uncertain terms that by the time I get word out to my friends etc, NO ONE will darken their doors.
   So, instead of trying back-door shenanigans to grab more of OUR hard earned cash, try this. Good food and friendly, knowledgeable staff. That will ensure you'll get a tip of at least the accepted standard of 15%. And in my case, usually a lot more.
   'Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment