Thursday, April 19, 2012

The End Of An Era

   Shuttle Discovery has made it's final flight. As you can see, it was piggy-backed from Florida to Washington D.C on a modified 7-47. The oldest, and probably most travelled, shuttle in the now mothballed fleet will be put on display at the Smithsonian in the American Capitol. Her flight career started in August 1984 and ended in February of last year after an amazing 39 missions, and who knows how many miles.
   I was somewhat bemused by the coverage of the final flight and the shuttle's final destination in the media after seeing a report saying the museum would display Discovery as if it had just landed from orbit. Really? I didn't fucking think they'd display it after main engine start or 2 to 3 seconds after the solid rocket boosters fired. And I can also see problems displaying it like she was in orbit.
   O-kay, I'm being a little snarky. But you see my point. Short of having the VAB (Vertical Assembly Building) at the ready, it's kinda hard to display her any other way.
   To say I was sorry to see the end of the Shuttle era is an understatement of vast proportions. I was born before the first satellite was launched by Russia in 1957, making me a product of the space age. I vividly recall watching John Glenn's first ride into space in February 1962. Needless to say, I also watched all the moon shots, Apollo-Soyuz mission and as many of the Shuttle launch/landings as I could.
   No offense to my American friends, but not having a launch-orbit and return system is rather dumb. I understand the need to cut back spending, but ending all space missions for who knows how long doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Especially since a return to the moon, let alone a mission to Mars isn't on the horizon for an apparently long time.
   The end of an era is always a little sad. Especially when there's nothing to replace it.
   'Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment