Thursday, February 9, 2012

This Is Music??

        ***WARNING: THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS EXTREMELY COARSE AND OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE AND IS INTENDED FOR A MATURE AUDIENCE. EVEN SOME ADULTS MAY BE OFFENDED. VIEWER AND PARENTAL DISCRETION IS STRONGLY ADVISED***

   So, the Grammy Awards are being handed out this Sunday, and among the categories is rap. Yeah, I don't give a shit about the Grammys or rap either. But this, coupled with the "performance" by the hip-hop 'star' M.I.A on Superbowl Sunday had me wondering what's up in the music industry anyway? And why are they giving some of these so-called 'stars' recognition to begin with?
   Specifically, rap 'stars'. I was sitting in the chair of my favorite tattoo artist not long ago getting some work done, and I had no choice but to listen to the 'music' coming from an adjoining room. For several hours. And even though it takes a lot to shock a cuss-master like myself, even I was a little shaken by what was coming from the speakers.
   One was something called..apparently..Stupid Hoe by someone called Nicki Minaj. Without going in to great detail, here's some of the "lyrics":

I get it crackin’ like a bag bag?
Bitch talkin she the queen, when she looking like a lab rat
I’m Angelina, you Jennifer
C’mon bitch, you see where Brad at....
And so on. Delightful, isn't it?

That was followed by the equally refreshing chorus:

You a stupid hoe, you a, you a stupid hoe (stupid, stupid)
You a stupid hoe, you a, you a stupid hoe (stupid, stupid)
You a stupid hoe, you a, you a stupid hoe (stupid, stupid).....
And so on. You get the hint.

   I don't know about her being a stupid hoe, but she came across sounding like a dumb cunt. But maybe not so dumb after all, since she's made a ton of money from people who are dumb enough to buy her CD. This musical gem was followed by who I believe I was told was Snoop Dogg singing "Woof! Motherfucker, Woof! Woof! Motherfucker". I think the Dogg delivered a piece of Shitt with that.
   And just how many hours or even days did the "song" writers sit struggling to come up with these masterpieces, specifically their use of our wonderful English language in all it's nuances? Sorry. Sarcasm doesn't translate well to the computer screen. But it sounds like someone not being able to pass a kidney stone, rather than meaningful lyrics.
   I mean we go from musical treasures like Procul Harum's "Whiter Shade of Pale" to John Lennon's "Imagine" and even Zeppelin's "Stairway" to "Stupid Hoe" and "Woof! Motherfucker"??? I wonder which will stand the test of time. Now, I admit I'm getting old(er), and my taste in music is vastly different from today's young people. And I admit I like a lot of musical styles beyond the '60's, '70's and '80's. But if what I heard is a taste of today's music, the only taste I have is from throwing up in my mouth a little.
   Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go brush my teeth.
   'Nuff said.
   And sorry about the language, but I did warn you!

No comments:

Post a Comment