Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11

   I wasn't going to talk about the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. I was going to leave it to others who are far better qualified than I am. But the magnitude of what happened September 11, 2001 is just too great, and it had an impact that continues to be felt to this day. Ironically, it was a Tuesday. I was just getting ready for work, and was watching CNN after the first plane hit. I didn't know what was going on, and thought it might've been an accident. That a plane somehow veered off course and slammed into the building.
   Imagine my horror when the second plane hit the North tower, tearing a flaming path of destruction through it. I was gob-smacked. Things got worse when I finally found out the Pentagon had been hit, and realized (if I hadn't already) that it was a co-ordinated attack on our neighbor to the south. Things then got even worse when word came out that a 4th plane had been hijacked and was heading toward Washington, D.C. They made it as far as Pennsylvania before the passengers, who were well aware of what was happening, tried to wrest control away from the terrorists, managing to crash the jet into a field, thereby sparing many more lives.
   By the time the towers had fallen, I was late for work and hustled to make it in to the office, only to find that, like me, everyone was transfixed at what was happening.
   We all know what happened in the aftermath. Airport security was beefed up. Armed guards were put on airliners in the States. The Taliban was kicked out (for now) in Afghanistan. And finally, Osama bin Laden was killed by SEAL team 6 last May.
   What were my feelings on that day? Anger. I thought the U.S had the right, if not the moral obligation, to turn Afghanistan into one big sheet of thermonuclear created glass after it was revealed Al-Qaida was using the country as a base of operation with the Taliban's blessing. When we found out it was militant Islamists, I was angry at all Muslims. Until close friends who follow Islam quickly pointed out that's not what their religion teaches them, and that the terrorists in their eyes were no more Muslim than I am.
   Where are we today? Still on a heightened security alert, which isn't a bad thing. And one thing I did notice during today's ceremonies was the lack of politicians in New York. It was family and friends of the victims who read the names.
   And on this 11th anniversary, lets not forget those who were killed in the attacks on New York, Washington and in a field in Pennsylvania. And lets also not forget the first responders who's training I'm sure could not have prepared them for the scope of the disaster. That includes the 384 NYFD members who died.
   So, to the families and friends of the victims, and those who survived a day of hell, I hope you find peace, if not some closure, before you pass away.
   And from one who served to all those in uniform that fateful day, I stand and salute you!
   'Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment