Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Facebook Users: A Rant

   I admit it. I have a profile. And like most of us, I use it to keep in touch with friends and relatives near, far and overseas. But I also think I'm going to be making changes to my friends list soon. And it's all down to what a lot of people post.
   Don't get me wrong, I post quite a bit of useless stuff on there myself. Hell! I even take quizzes others on my list have taken. And like most of them do most of the time, I lie my ass off when answering. Don't tell me you haven't taken a quiz, didn't like the answer you got when you put in as truthful as possible check marks in the relevant boxes, then went back and "tweaked" those same answers to get the result you did want. That's the one that usually gets posted.
   But that's not what got me thinking about "un-friending" people from my list. It's baby pictures and videos posted by the younger members of the circle I travel in. Yes, we all love our kids, and yes, we're all proud of what they do. But posting a picture or video every fucking day is going way over the top. You may think your kid is the cutest thing ever. A lot of people would likely agree. But there are others among us who disagree. True, your kid isn't Elephant Man ugly, but truth be told, it's just another kid.
   Why the need to post a new picture every day? And why share the ones you get through your friends on your profile page? I've seen posts (and I'm not making this up) where people put a fresh pic of John or Judy right next to the one they took the week or the day before saying "see how quickly my baby is growing up?". No. I don't see it. Maybe if you posted one pic a month I could. But on a weekly or daily basis, how the fuck am I supposed to tell the difference? And what do you say if you reply? Yeah! Thanks for posting a "before" picture. I'd never recognize John or Judy. They must have grown 1/100th of an inch and added 2 or 3 grams of weight since yesterday.
   Then, there's the videos. They usually run 15 seconds, with the caption "look what my kid did today". The video usually shows some brat shaking a toy or smeared with a cookie. I had to look at one 4 fucking times before I realized all the kid did was hiccup!
  And it's not parents either. It seems a lot of people are using facebook as a free ad service. I've seen realtors posting on facebook to get exposure. "Come see my new listing". All they're doing is peddling something up Shit Creek St that ain't sold in yonks.
   Shit, I've even seen stuff re-posted from other pages about getting in on that Yoga class before it's booked up. Give me a break, and go take out an ad rather than wasting my time reading it, and your time posting it.
   But maybe there's a simpler answer to this rant. Maybe, just maybe, I've turned into a crusty old fuck. Nah, that ain't it.
   Rant over.
   'Nuff said
  

No comments:

Post a Comment